2020-2021 School Opening
From: H. Larry Moore, Superintendent of Schools
Date: June 17, 2020
As we prepare for students and staff to return to school on August 10th, I want to share some information with you about what we are doing to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and other contagious diseases on our campuses. I appreciate the great work our local Health Department officials are doing and the support and cooperation they have provided to our schools. The goal moving forward will continue to be to provide the safest learning and working environment possible for everyone while at school. I ask for your continued help in keeping our schools as safe as possible. With that being said, I respectfully ask that parents keep students at home if they are displaying symptoms. The following are practices and procedures we will be implementing:
- Temperature checks will be conducted for staff and students upon entering the buildings.
- Approved cloth face masks are encouraged, particularly on buses and during class changes.
- Increased signage will be posted to educate and remind staff and students of the precautions that should be taken in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and other contagious diseases.
- Handwashing will be done early morning, mid-day, and early afternoon.
- Buses will be sanitized after each route.
- Some breakfast and/or lunch meals will be served in the classrooms.
- Social distancing will be expected where feasible.
- Traffic patterns for student transition times will be expected
- Increased cleaning of schools and high touch point areas
- Students who have a temperature of 100.4 or higher or other symptoms will be isolated, and the parents will be notified. (Students displaying symptoms should stay home.)
- Campuses will be closed for lunch.
- Visitors on campus will be limited.
- Parent/teacher meetings will be conducted virtually.
- Parents and students will have the option of enrolling in virtual education. Choosing the virtual option requires a commitment of enrolling for a minimum of one semester.
A parent survey is being posted to help us as we plan to welcome our students back to school. The survey will be available on the Jackson County School Board webpage at www.jcsb.org, it will also be available on the School District’s Facebook page, and it will be sent via Focus Messenger. Please complete one survey for each child you have attending Jackson County Schools. On behalf of the members of the Jackson County School Board and all Jackson County School District employees, I want you to know we consider it a privilege to serve you we look forward to serving you and your children during the coming school year.